There are some great examples of net zero buildings – and those striving towards becoming net zero – in our report From Thousands to Billions. From the zet zero energy and carbon office building, the Bullitt Center in Seattle, US, to the Maison Ile de France student accommodation in Paris, France, see them here.
We are also using real case studies of net zero buildings or buildings on the journey to becoming net zero in the visuals for World Green Building Week. These include:
The Mineirão Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, which is a net positive stadium. Only 10 per cent of the energy it generates through its solar photovoltaic power plant is required to power the stadium. The remaining 90 per cent is distributed to the surrounding community, to about 1,200 houses. The stadium is certified LEED NC Platinum.
The Barangaroo development in Sydney, Australia, by Lendlease. This aims to be world’s first high-density carbon neutral development in operation. Strategies towards achieving this include chilled water and harbour cooling system; on-site solar energy generation; off-site renewable energy facility; and carbon offset projects utilised to offset residual onsite carbon emissions. Barangaroo achieved 6-Star Green Star – Office Design v3 certification, and is a participant in the Climate Positive Development Program.